Sunday, September 29, 2013

Uses of Technology in the Classroom...

        In my previous post, I talked about how technology is taking over our country and how teachers, administrators and educators need to accept that fact and start using many different forms of technology in the classroom. In this post, I am going to talk specifically about one form of technology that is a new trend in technology education. 
  
        Currently in education there are many new ways of thinking about teaching and learning that have emerged. For instance, after reading the EDUCAUSE Seven Things You Should Know About…Series, I found out about Microlectures. A microlecture is a short audio or video presentation. This presentation covers a defined topic. It is short and to the point. This can be used as a short lecture to help learners better understands a topic. It also can allow students to go back and re-watch the presentation when they are working though problems.


         Microlectures are videos or audios that include a short demonstration. An example of a mathematics microlecture is a short demonstration on solving quadratic functions by graphing, by factoring or by completing the square. Other microlectures could be videos from Khan Academy that are related to any topic. Students can watch the microlecture prior to working on problems or an assignment that are similar to the problems demonstrated in the microlecture. Having these presentations in a microlecture form will allow student re-watch the lecture multiple times if they are having problems doing a homework activity.


         I feel that microlectures are prefect for a mathematics online classroom. Students have the capability to look over the lecture multiple times if needed. They can work on a problem that is similar to the concept covered in the microlecture and pause it if needed, to relate the problem they are working on with the presentation. I have used Khan Academy videos in my classroom and students seem to enjoy watching a video rather than listening to me all the time.

How will all students have access to the microlectures if they do not have access to the internet?

         Not all student may have access technology to access the Microlecture, however when I asked my currently mathematics classes about technology use and internet access at home, I only had 2 students that did not have access to the internet at home. This problem is easily resolved at my school, because all students have access to the library before and after school everyday. The microlectures would be short enough that students could easily watch these videos by stay 5-10 minutes after school.

         Another solution to this problem could be, having a few students that did not have access to the internet, watch the video during class. This is not the ideal situation, however, it is a possibility. This would at least keep student actively engaged even if they did not watch the microlecture prior to entering the classroom.

       Look for my next post, where I discuss how digital native are capable of teaching digital immigrants!


No comments:

Post a Comment